Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I Lift My Eyes to YOU

I mentioned before that I'm doing the Stepping Up Bible study by Beth Moore. This week we studied Psalm 123.... "I lift my eyes to You, the One enthroned in heaven..... " The crux of this lesson is that we must keep our eyes on God. I ask God to help me with this almost every day. It doesn't come naturally most of the time and Beth points out that it is actually the opposite of our instincts, saying: "every natural instinct begs us to stare wide-eyed in the face of our circumstances, demands, oppressors, and false saviors...." 

Beth also says that where we look has a tremendous impact on how we feel.  I've experienced the utter lack of peace and contentment that comes when I shift my focus to the wrong thing. I begin looking like a deer in headlights, frozen and staring blankly at the impending danger before me, rather than running towards and seeking refuge in my God! Nothing good comes from that frozen stare. But, the simple act of willing myself to look away and scrambling into the lap of my LORD has an amazing effect. I never really knew why the impact of proper focus was so great, but Beth makes an interesting point on this. She suggests that where we look has a huge effect on how we feel, because it becomes where we primarily listen. Wow. Could it be that when I have my eyes OFF of God, I become more vulnerable to worldly logic, or even worse, the whisperings of Satan? And, on the flip side, if I have my focus on God, then I'm more able to clearly hear His voice!  

Psalm 123, is also an important reminder that God is enthroned. By definition, this wording reflects His sovereignty. He is on the throne. He is ruling. He is King. And God's omniscience combined with His enthronement makes this even more incredible. He knows all as well as being in control and sovereign over all! Beth says, "everything else will downsize into its proper place when we look to God alone. Just as God is enthroned over the flood, (Ps. 29:10) He is enthroned over everything that troubles you." He is aware of all of my trials, all of my worries, all of my pain. He is still in control, even when the situation feels uncontrollable. 

In you, O LORD, I have taken refuge...
Rescue me and deliver me in your righteousness; 
turn your ear to me and save me.
Be my rock of refuge,
to which I can always go....
for you are my rock and my fortress... 
You have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD.  
Ps. 71




1 comment:

LynnSC said...

Hi Kelly,
I just wanted to tell you how much this spoke to me. How easily I tend to look at the circumstances instead of the God of the universe.

"Could it be that when I have my eyes OFF of God, I become more vulnerable to worldly logic, or even worse, the whisperings of Satan? And, on the flip side, if I have my focus on God, then I'm more able to clearly hear His voice!"

This spoke volumes to me. Yes... I think that when I have my eyes off of the Lord... I tend to have my ears off of Him too. What a wise Word. I will have to keep this in the forefront of my mind.... watching for this. Thanks so much for sharing this with us.
Lynn